Last check on double windows

Garald

Hi,

So, I'll go through with my project - installing sliding windows 15cm outside sound-reducing windows (since that seems to be the only way to really deal with the lower frequencies).

Let me ask some questions before I give my agreement to the quote:

- Having the thermically weaker window on the outside actually prevents condensation, no?  (Why?) 

I'm attaching the technical information for the existing windows. The glass in the sliding windows would be of type STADIP Protect 88.4, as in the table

https://befr.saint-gobain-building-glass.com/sites/saint-gobain-building-glass.com/files/documentPdf/STADIP PROTECT P4A Cahier des charges.pdf

- Should I insist on having some sort of sound absorber on the sides of the 15cm-thick space? Right now that's mostly brick.

DoP_d2601503_20221016 (7).pdf

On 27/12/2023 at 23:24, Garald said:

installing sliding windows 15cm outside sound-reducing windows

In the UK it's normal to have the double glazed unit on the outside and the sliding secondary window inside, but that's no-doubt because UK windows are normally outward opening.

installing sliding windows... ...(since that seems to be the only way to really deal with the lower frequencies)

Not the only way. In Europe I seen a full double window used. That is, an inward opening double-glazed window internally, and an outward opening double-glazed window externally - which worked very well, acoustically.

If using a sliding window externally, check that the weather sealing will be adequate.

Having the thermally weaker window on the outside actually prevents condensation, no?  (Why?)

I've not come across that as a recommendation and it wouldn't be the case in the normal UK situation.

Should I insist on having some sort of sound absorber on the sides of the 15cm-thick space? Right now that's mostly brick.

The air is going to be transmitting most of the sound, so IMO it's not necessary.

13 hours ago, Mike said:

In the UK it's normal to have the double glazed unit on the outside and the sliding secondary window inside, but that's no-doubt because UK windows are normally outward opening.

Right - outward opening windows are called "English windows" over here, and sell for a premium.

13 hours ago, Mike said:

Not the only way. In Europe I seen a full double window used. That is, an inward opening double-glazed window internally, and an outward opening double-glazed window externally - which worked very well, acoustically.

Well, this *will* be a full double window - each window will have a (supposedly) decoupled frame and so forth. I can't have quite the arrangement you mention (which I think is exactly what I had in my office when I worked in Germany) as there is a railing outside the window.

13 hours ago, Mike said:

If using a sliding window externally, check that the weather sealing will be adequate.

This is meant to be a quality window frame - see https://www.technal.com/fr/fr/accueil-professionnels/les-produits-technal/la-fenetre-et-porte-fenetre/

3 hours ago, Mike said:

To check, they should have published the AEV ratings - see https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technique_des_portes_et_fenêtres#Classement_AEV

Right:

Perméabilité à l’air : Classe 4 / Q4 : 0.19 m3 /(h.m²)

Étanchéité à l’eau : Classe 6A

Résistance à la pression du vent : Classe B2

https://stdrawings.blob.core.windows.net/sapamediagallery/doc6x91gouk8k9uc75lcv3-doc

This seems to mean:

- permeability: very good

- waterproof rating: medium high

- wind resistance: medium low

, no?

3 hours ago, Garald said:

This seems to mean:

- permeability: very good

- waterproof rating: medium high

- wind resistance: medium low

Yes, that looks right.