Roofers caused leak - advice needed!

MDSA

Couple weeks ago we had a part of our roof repaired. During the work it rained heavily and water leaked heavily into our bathroom on the first floor. It came in through the brickwork above the bathroom window - not through the ceiling. It was dripping/pouring from the upper lip/corner of the wall that frames the window (see pics).

This flooded the floor and leaked down below and stained the kitchen ceiling (see pics).

I’ve since removed all the sealant around the bathroom window which was mouldy anyway. It was very wet behind the sealant so thinking it was a good idea with regards to helping the area dry out.

my questions are…

1. How long should we wait till we reseal the window? Ie. How long for it to dry out?

2. How long should we wait before we repaint the kitchen ceiling?

3. Should we treat the kitchen ceiling with something before painting?

many thanks!

IMG_3567.jpeg

IMG_3552.jpeg

That seems an excessive amount of water for rain during a roof repair, some staining on the upstairs ceiling yes but to flood down another floor as well? What works were they doing and how long did it take? Maybe they broke a pipe during loft access and repaired it without your knowledge.

Hi, thanks for the reply. There was really heavy rain and for many hours that night.  The stain is on the downstairs kitchen ceiling. Water on the bathroom floor leaked through the bath panel and under the bath where there are no tiles and so it descended to the kitchen ceiling. 

I'd paint the ceiling with one of the Zinsser primers. Either the  Bulls Eye 123, Bulls Eye 123 Plus or B-I-N. Think the BIN is possibly their best but that ones not water based. 

They also have "Allclean - Scrubable Interior Matt" top coat but I've not used it yet. They have several others worth a look.  

I was recommended Zinsser paint a few years ago when I had issues with paint peeling off a ceiling over a steamy shower. Its worked brilliantly for that despite frequently having water droplets hanging from it. 

• Like 1