Stone Cottage Reno & Extension

DIWye

Hello!

We're completing a renovation and extension of an 18th century cottage in the Wye Valley, and after many Google searches taking me to this forum I thought it was about time I signed up!

My girlfriend and I are managing the project and doing as much of the building and labouring as we can, with a lot of help from family and friends along the way - my Dad is a joiner and her Dad is a retired plasterer/builder. Before this house we renovated and extended a miner's terrace in South Bristol, which gave us maybe a bit too much confidence for extending and renovating a stone cottage requiring some serious groundworks and retaining walls. 

The extension is finally wind and watertight and we're currently doing the insulation and UFH ready for the screed. Not sure if it is allowed or not but we have an Instagram account (search Cadora Chronicles) we are using as a blog and possibly to remind ourselves of how hard it was if we start looking at other projects/plots in the future! Some taster images of the build so far below!

Looking forward to getting advice from you all as we progress!

Screenshot_20231030-181122_Instagram.thumb.jpg.70b528df0ae124d8fe542348fc5074e0.jpg

The start

Screenshot_20231030-181335_Instagram.thumb.jpg.6ab8be6dc3c18190e45186a260c414e2.jpg

Garage demolished and retaining walls in

Screenshot_20231030-181415_Instagram.thumb.jpg.7a577db0f4b9da802fb63573bd16126c.jpg

Majority of the externals complete! This was a couple of months ago pre glazing

• Like 2

Looks very in keeping unlike the old garage. I'd love to use those kind of timbers but I look at my bank balance and the distance to the nearest tree and resign myself to 6x2's from whatever Buildbase are called this week!

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's been hard going at times over the last 18 months but starting to see the rewards of our efforts now.

There's no central heating in the house, so I've got a lot of reading to do and probably a lot of questions whilst I get my head around it!