Damp Issue Question

80's Owl

Hi a couple of queries:

I've been recently left a terraced house in a will and and doing it up to eventually let, there is a damp patch in the kitchen behind where the oven was, I've hacked off the plaster and the brickwork behind is damp (not saturated) as the house is currently unoccupied what would be the best way of drying this out as I'm a bit reluctant to leave such as a blow heater in there.

39 minutes ago, markc said:

First of all find out where the damp is coming from, what’s on the other side of the wall? Down pipe? Hole through wall? Missing mortar? Vegetation etc

This is the problem, there are none of those, the house was built in 1876 and has always had damp issues, its brick built with with white Tyrolean on the outside which is unaffected.

1 hour ago, 80's Owl said:

This is the problem, there are none of those, the house was built in 1876 and has always had damp issues, its brick built with with white Tyrolean on the outside which is unaffected.

If not coming from outside, it could well be a water or gas pipe that has been plastered over. 

5 minutes ago, 80's Owl said:

I've hacked the plaster off Mark and there's nothing there, the gas and water pipes are all visible.

Sounds like you just need to give it a bit of time now to see what happens, you have done all the right things to find any source (and there doesn’t appear to be any) if the area dries then nothing else to do, if not then there are other options