Running new pipes from loft into kitchen behind plasterboard

infaddict

Planning a kitchen renovation and all appliances and sink are moving to different places.  I live in a bungalow and all hot/cold pipes go upwards into loft for easy access, and its all plastic push fit style.  All the pipes are sat on top of blockwork which then has dot/dab plasterboard over the top.

I need help on best way to run new pipes to the new locations.  Is it possible to use a flexible rod kind of kit to find a way down between the dabs, or it that impossible and best to cut out sections of plasterboard and repair later.  I plan to get the whole room re-skimmed anyway.  I think for fire safety, dot and dab is solid all around board edge anyway which makes it hard to feed new things down.

So what is best approach?  And whatever the best approach, any advice/tips of repairing the damage to the plaster board, inspection holes or sections cut away where I will run new facilities.

Thanks in advance!

43 minutes ago, markc said:

Forget trying to get rods or services behind existing, so much easier and faster to cut strips of board out and make good after

Thanks Mark. How do you usually repair? Do you use dot and dab technique or something else. Guess it's important to ensure edges and joins don't have any give which could lead to cracking later. Cheers. 

1 hour ago, infaddict said:

Thanks Mark. How do you usually repair? Do you use dot and dab technique or something else. Guess it's important to ensure edges and joins don't have any give which could lead to cracking later. Cheers. 

I’m not a plasterer but I would push adhesive under the cut edges, and ensure seal top and bottom and around boxes etc when putting the replacement dot and dab strip back in