UFH woes

osmononame

Hi all,

I am having an issue with my UFH which is causing me to scratch my head! Whether it has existing since I moved in on whether it’s a new issue I am not sure.

I have noticed in the past week (since the heating came on) that my hall has been warm whether I have  the zone calling for heat or not. After a bit of experimenting today i can see that the pipes to the hall are getting warm and the bits that move on the top of the manifold that you use to balance the runs move (sorry I don’t know the technical term - I have the self-balancing actuators so these are just open to maximum - image is attached). It doesn’t matter what other zone is calling for heat these two circuits open and the hall heats up. I have attached an image of the bits I am talking about – you will see the actuators are off but the circuits moving water!

Any suggestions on what it could be? I thought maybe dodgy actuators but it’s unlikely to be both of them?

image.jpeg

19 minutes ago, osmononame said:

Any suggestions on what it could be?

They are called flow meters.

I would remove the Salus actuators, to see if the pin is stuck in a position, compare it to one of the other circuits that seems to be closing.

I had 2 spare actuators so have actually just changed them over. It has fixed the issue on pipe 4 but pipe 5 still opens when i call for heat in another room.

I have also tried to recalibrate all the actuators on the manifold but that has not resolved it either.

Not sure what else to try.

The pin on the manifold? Just checked them both and they all seem to be at the same height. 

But I think replacing the actuators may have fixed it! When I initially installed them circuit 5 was still stuck open but I let that zone (that was stuck open) run for the last hour and now when I turn the zone off and turn on another circuit the former dodgy circuit stays closed! I think maybe the new actuators need power for a bit to calibrate fully. 

Heating is off now as the house is roasting after all the testing but I will try it again next time I need heating and see if it behaves.