Bathroom extraction with long run

Square Feet

I am renovating a ground floor flat with an existing ventilation set up to the bathroom as shown in the drawing. The bathroom is in the centre of the flat with no windows or external walls. It backs onto the common passageway leading to the back garden and has been ducted to the outside air, c.3m away.  It has been like that for years and none of the other residents have complained so I am not looking to radically alter things. 

I quite like the idea of fitting a single-room MHRV unit but the ones I have looked at say that the max run is something like half a metre. I have my doubts that the fan that was in there before was able to do much on a duct run of that length.  The property will be rented out so I am keen to make it as 'fit and forget' as possible to make sure the tenant uses it and I don't end up with a very mouldy bathroom.  Do I need to fit some sort of additional fan in the duct run to assist the push/pull of air or is there a particular unit that can do it on its own?

PXL_20231021_113504516~2.jpg

Look at the Vent Axia Solo Plus. It can be set up to run as a continuous trickle ventilation, with a boost when the light is switched on.

Suitable for longer ducting runs. I would always fit solid ducting if at all possible, with a slight fall to outside. 

10 minutes ago, Mattg4321 said:

It can be set up to run as a continuous trickle ventilation, with a boost when the light is switched on.

How do you wire that then?  It's on a switched live feed at the moment so just on when the light is on. There is a spare 230v supply nearby from when there was a wall heater there - would it need connected to both, ie the 230v for the trickle and the switched for the boost? Or am I being really dense here?

I would get something like a Greenwood CV2GIP dMEV Extractor Fan, cheap as chips on eBay, almost silent, leave at a low rate all the time, with boost at needed, with its built in humidity sensor. Three wires and your done.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

I would get something like a Greenwood CV2GIP dMEV Extractor Fan, cheap as chips on eBay, almost silent, leave at a low rate all the time, with boost at needed, with its built in humidity sensor. Three wires and your done.

Thanks, I will check that out