HDPE Adoptable and Non-adoptable inspection chamber products

Chathura

We are doing a public sewer diversion in my garden by installing two new HDPE inspection chambers by removing the existing concrete/brick manhole. The water company expects us to install an "Adoptable" inspection chamber product. However, I saw that the builder has brought Polypipe UG440 which is categorised as a non-adaptable inspection chamber. In theory, if it is from the Polypipe brand, the inspection chambers should be SFA440 type. Since this job is already priced, I understand that the builder would keep the cost of material as minimal as possible. However, the inspector from the water company will probably ask them to change it to SFA440 or a similar product instead that's listed as "adoptable".

Other than the fact of how many properties it would serve, is there any real difference in the dimensions or construction quality between Adoptable and Non-adoptable inspection chambers?

From experience the water board are sticklers for the rules, might get lucky but personally I wouldn't chance it. If they cotton on its the wrong chamber they could potentially start to question or ask for further areas to be re-exposed which is hassle you don't need.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crooksey said:

From experience the water board are sticklers for the rules, might get lucky but personally I wouldn't chance it. If they cotton on its the wrong chamber they could potentially start to question or ask for further areas to be re-exposed which is hassle you don't need.

Yes, the builder cannot do anything against what they say and they have an Inspector visiting on-site to check and verify what the builder does. It's the property of the Water Company afterwards and if they say OK, I can't force the builder to install a different product either. I am just curious to know what is the difference between these 2 product categories when it comes to their qualities (construction, dimension or durability). I personally prefer to install the best possible stuff so that I have full peace of mind.