Best way to select a planning consultant

I am seeking a planning consultant in the central belt of Scotland who has a genuine passion for sustainable development and has a proven track record of successful planning applications.

Should I only be using those registered on the RTPI directory or are there other recognised bodies?

Other than trawling through past planning applications of similar developments, can anyone suggest other ways to select a suitable consultant?

Does anyone have any particular recommendations?

5 minutes ago, RachelG said:

Other than trawling through past planning applications of similar developments, can anyone suggest other ways to select a suitable consultant?

No direct suggestions but I'd heavily suggest going down this route. Find consultants who have dealt with your LPA, have some sort of relationship with them and understand what they want, which format they want it in etc. 

Local knowledge can be incredibly helpful in shaving off valuable time. 

Maybe my LPA is a bit different - but they don't seem to care much about 'sustainable' in practice - although, of course, their policies enumerate it.

My model is that planning (for dwellings anyway) is 'look and feel' only. So, I wonder whether you need a good planning consultant rather than one with 'sustainable' qualifications. That makes the net wider.

I'm assuming that you're not going for a para 80 home in the wilderness - correct me if you are.