Floating sludge increase in treatment plant

Crunchynut

My treatment plant (Vortex 6) has been running fine through the spring and summer with minimal floating sludge. In the last week however the floating sludge has got a bit heavy. It’s not a problem - effluent is still clear and floating sludge return does it’s thing - but I seem to remember floating sludge was a bit heavy last Autumn and Winter.

Nothing has changed as far as I know except ambient temperature has started to drop.

Ordinarily I would say floating sludge is a sign of insufficient dissolved oxygen but aeration rate and loading is unchanged and at the right levels.

So, I’m just wondering whether any other treatment plant owners have noticed this change in the last week or whether it’s just me.

About two times a year, you can get unpredictable levels of sludge, and/or in some drain-fields you can also get reduced drainage, I usually find its between winter into spring and summer into autumn. I have no idea why, but on a number of jobs I have seen this/heard it from customers. Not when I have been involved in the drainage, but as a comment from a customer, or an observation when working there. Usually short lived but I always had it down to bacteria reacting to ground temperature changes.

• Like 1

Once you have had it a few years, you probably will never check it and just get it checked once a year on a service and pump out.

Yes you can go longer, but for the amount saved having a pump out, jet down and inspection once a year is the best practice and if god forbid you ever need a warranty claim or house insurance claim, following the rules can save a fortune in the long run.