Flat Roof Repair

Surrey Fella

Hi all,

I'm after some advice please as I am new to all this.

I have a GRP flat roof. The ceiling below this is showing some brown staining, no visible signs of water coming through.

I've had a few roofers come over to advise and quote. Three different ways of resolving this issue have been mentioned: sanding/cleaning/using matting and Ultraflex, sanding/cleaning using Desmopol and lastly cleaning and using Everbuild Liquid Roof.

Whilst they all sound like they all do the same thing, what is the difference between them all and is there any one in particular that is better than the rest?

Thanking you in advance.

8 hours ago, Surrey Fella said:

what is the difference between them all and is there any one in particular that is better than the rest

I am pretty sure they are all the same, polyurethane based systems.

Performance wise there is probably no difference.

Pick the cheapest.

Can you post up a picture of the GRP and the stained ceiling.

If the GRP is in good condition i.e. not leaking, then the problem may be condensation, and that is a different problem.

Suggest you follow up ST's point before spending any money to 'fix the leak'. Can you tell us more about the roof? Is it over a habitable space? Is it insulated? If so was the insulation done really well? If it is a Cold Roof (all the insulation below the deck) there should be a clear cross-ventilation path (ideally 50mm minimum) between the top of the insulation and the underside of the deck and (sorry, this is stating the blindingly obvious, but it very often does not happen - you see lots of 'air gaps' without 'ins' and 'outs') it must have 'air in' and 'air out' at opposite ends, unobstructed.