downstairs toilet tiling....but on to what?

Thorfun

hi all. I've done a quick search and pretty much all the threads about tiling on tile backer board or plasterboard or cement board etc seem to be about a bathroom/shower area. But in a downstairs loo that will be part tiled to about 1200mm high and then painted the rest what is the best board to use? is standard 12.5mm plasterboard ok? it seems possible for the tiler to use a primer to tile directly on to the plasterboard and the plasterer can skim from 1200mm and up. but is there a better way?

also, how accurate does the plasterer need to be to the level of where the tiles will be? if they go a bit below the line is it ok for the tiler to tile on to the bit of plaster or will that need to be taken off? 

I'm sure these are all beginner questions but, in most things, I am still a beginner despite being 2.5 years in to our build!

11 minutes ago, nod said:

Skim it all or half doesn’t really matter 

Tile directly on to plaster board or skimmed walls Worth sealing the later 

Cheers @nod. Will just use standard PB and get them to skim the whole thing. Will just be easier that way I think. 

33 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Cheers @nod. Will just use standard PB and get them to skim the whole thing. Will just be easier that way I think. 

Cheap skate . I used tile backer board even in the minuscule wc - just so walls are flat for tiling and I don’t need a trade on site for plastering . You pinch those pennies anymore your nuts will start growing inwards .

Edited by Pocster

58 minutes ago, Pocster said:

Cheap skate . I used tile backer board even in the minuscule wc - just so walls are flat for tiling and I don’t need a trade on site for plastering . You pinch those pennies anymore your nuts will start growing inwards .

My plastering is shit. The end. 

2 hours ago, Thorfun said:

That’s all I’ll use on ours 

and I run a tiling business 

Its pretty mad really We have four housing sites ALL insist that the bathrooms and shores are skimmed before tiling 

What waste 

2 minutes ago, nod said:

That’s all I’ll use on ours 

and I run a tiling business 

Its pretty mad really We have four housing sites ALL insist that the bathrooms and shores are skimmed before tiling 

What waste 

Yeah. For the bathrooms will only be part plastered as a lot of those are tiled. But the WC is so small it’ll be trivial to just do the whole thing. But I’ll ask if there’s a cost implication and make a judgement call. As @Pocster says, I am a penny pincher! 😂

16 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Yeah. For the bathrooms will only be part plastered as a lot of those are tiled. But the WC is so small it’ll be trivial to just do the whole thing. But I’ll ask if there’s a cost implication and make a judgement call. As @Pocster says, I am a penny pincher! 😂

When we go to fully tile a bathroom that’s just been skimmed The first thing we do is knock the beads off 

• Haha 1