Vaulted ceiling build-up, battens?

Super_Paulie

Happy Friday gents and ladies.

This week i will be mostly insulating my vaulted ceiling/lean to in the extension. BC been out, all happy so far and ive over-specced it against my planning approval. 

So ive got 125mm rafters.

50mm ventilation void, going to go with 75mm in-between the rafters and 75mm under. Then batten for service void and then finally plasterboard.

My question is in regards to the batten. I cant find sod all online so i guess its common sense, but I was going to run the battens horizontal, so perpendicular to the rafters. All well and good but i assume i also need to run vertical battens to accommodate the ends of the boards so how do i pass my services though if im effectively making a frame under the plasterboard?

Beer o'clock.

Well Merlot o'clock anyway. I have found that the best way to deal with board ends, assuming the horizontal rafters are not on the 400/600 grid as if they are you can fix them to the rafters, is just to use off cuts of the batten behind the board ends where they join to allow the boards to get mutual support from each other and that has never been a problem. Just cut grooves in the back of the battens to get the cables through but make sure you keep fixing screws away from the cables.

• Thanks 1

On 08/09/2023 at 17:27, MikeSharp01 said:

assuming the horizontal rafters are not on the 400/600 grid as if they are you can fix them to the rafters

the rafters are, but if i am to create a service void with horizontal counter battens then i'll always have floating ends, so to speak. 

When boarding out stud work ive always made sure every side of the board is supported, so, im not sure if im getting the wrong end of the stick here as unless i create a frame for the boards with the battens then i'll always have floating ends. See attached shoddy picture. Would i just add shorter battens at the ends of the boards so i dont have any floating ends?

serviceVoid.JPG