Building in rural France

Araucaria

For the last 18 years, since I retired, I have been living in a pretty bit of rural France, the southern end of the Massif Central. I have done a fair bit of building work myself on our home here, and also on my daughter's house. After she saw how nice it was, she and her family moved to the next village where they bought an exceptionally dilapidated wreck of an old building, which she, her husband, and I, managed to turn into quite a nice house. All of this was a matter of learning how by doing it: my pre-retirement work all involved sitting at a desk in London.

But I joined this forum specifically because I thought that other members might be interested in an opportunity. My next-door neighbour (and friend) died very unexpectedly a couple of months ago, and he had been engaged for the last six years on an ambitious self-build project of an unusual type. His widow isn't a position to continue, and in a while she will almost certainly be looking to sell the land and what there is of the project building.

It's a very attractive location - very quiet, with excellent unspoilt rural views across the valley - and if it had been for sale 18 years ago when we moved here I know I would have bought it like a shot. I have no financial interest in this at all, except that I would like to see the owner treated fairly in what has been for her a very difficult situation.

If the moderators here don't approve, obviously I'll not continue to post. If this is OK, I'll put up a separate post with more information.

• Like 1