Blown Rendering - Advice Required

Simon Dodds

Hi, new to the forum and would very much appreciate some advice on this issue. I have a 2 foot high rendering at the base on the exterior front of my house. Internally re-plastered and painted last summer, but damp has penetrated the wall which has led to crumbling paint and deuteriation. As it states in the title of this post it's clear the rendering has blown in parts allowing water to sit between the render and the brick. I've so far had 2 quotes to remove the render and re-render, one being £370 and the other 10K...  I've not gone with either and seems very difficult getting a tradesman to look at this. Therefore please can someone offer advice? I did wonder if I can't get anyone to do the job before the winter maybe I should remove the rendering myself and treat the wall with damp resistant paint (or similar) until next year when I can get the rendering done? Many thanks! Simon

20230221_073318[1].jpg

If water is getting behind the bit of render I would knock it off, but I think the damp is more to do with water lashing off the path or joint between wall and path.  What height is the floor inside compared with the air brick?

9 minutes ago, markc said:

If water is getting behind the bit of render I would knock it off, but I think the damp is more to do with water lashing off the path or joint between wall and path.  What height is the floor inside compared with the air brick?

The floor sits either just above the airbrick or one brick level up. Also unsure if it's important to add the void from the floorboards to the ground is almost a meter, so the floor under the house is roughly half a meter lower than the outside ground floor, which may well be very normal. I should knock the render off? CHeers

• 1 month later...
On 22/08/2023 at 14:25, Simon Dodds said:

Hi, new to the forum and would very much appreciate some advice on this issue. I have a 2 foot high rendering at the base on the exterior front of my house. Internally re-plastered and painted last summer, but damp has penetrated the wall which has led to crumbling paint and deuteriation. As it states in the title of this post it's clear the rendering has blown in parts allowing water to sit between the render and the brick. I've so far had 2 quotes to remove the render and re-render, one being £370 and the other 10K...  I've not gone with either and seems very difficult getting a tradesman to look at this. Therefore please can someone offer advice? I did wonder if I can't get anyone to do the job before the winter maybe I should remove the rendering myself and treat the wall with damp resistant paint (or similar) until next year when I can get the rendering done? Many thanks! Simon

20230221_073318[1].jpg

Not completely clear but looks like a solid not a cavity wall?

If so please don't coat it with sealant or damp resistant paint. Lots of info online but if a solid wall you do need to tread carefully to not cause further problems. 

(We had similar issue with render and knocked it all off easily, but consequently soft bricks below were very spalled. Had it redone in lime. Painted now with silicate paint. Very happy and so far so dry.)