Pre Application Consultation suggestion by officer to drop roof line . . .

Fallowfields

We had a pre app meeting today online and they like all the research and presentation of our modest farmhouse style plan. The only request was could we possibly drop the roof line.

Is this a deal breaker, I mean the village has a smattering of houses mainly 1970s 2 storey boxes and rendered bungalows. Its a shame to lose the integrity of the farmhouse aesthetic when there really isnt anything we look onto front or back just fields.

Anyone have similar conversation and if so how did you get around them to allow you to build what you wished.

TIA FF

I've had a similar problem in the past - the LPA's pre-occupation with ridge height meant that our design was less than elegant. I think they shoot themselves in the foot sometimes.

I had a similar problem with a cart lodge position one time - LPA's 'suggestion' was to move to other side of plot. I said I would investigate, produced a few sketch designs and was able to reasonably conclude that it would make access unrealistic. Officer accepted my logic.

Maybe show willing, with a sketch for a lower roof line and reasons why it doesn't look good / has 'lower utility'? Push back a little to determine how important it is to the officer. 

• Like 1

We recently managed to get planning permission in west Wales. It was a battle from start to finish. Initially the Town Council objected following letters of objection submitted by residents (loaded with lies and tittle tattle). We had discussions with the planning officer and he seemed fairly happy with the plans but suggested we move the property 1.5mtrs forward down our field to reduce the roofline. We agreed to this and revised the plans. Spoke at the next Town Council meeting and they liked the changes so no objections. The local member then spoke with the planning officer and he then has a complete change of opinion. Then we needed to drop the roofline still further and hide the build from view. TBH we agreed to all of the demands and shot the letters of objection down in flames. However, for us to get planning we ticked every box the planners wanted. The costs involved and the hoops you need to jump thorough are ridiculous. Even the 10% of valuation costs that go the LA when you sell the property for the first time S106 agreement. It's like bribery. You'd never get away with it in business however the LA can do what they like. I wonder why nobody is building houses? Anyway, we got there and we are actually happier with the design following the changes we made to the design. I wonder if you initially need to submit with a higher roofline than you actually want so you can reduce it when they request and you walk away with the roofline you wanted. It's a game others play with your time, life and money. Good luck and don't give up. 

• Like 1

We had the ridge height challenge and responded by designing 1 3/4 storey barn style house. We have ceilings which slope down to 2.1m, low eaves detail over the windows. I think it is better proportioned externally and the internal sloping ceilings add interest without feeling compromised. The only minor issue was fitting wardrobes into the slope.

• Like 1