New meter

Hi,

Moving into the static in a weeks time. The electricity supply to the site has been delayed due to various reasons but have now just finally got a date for Northern Power Networks to put the cable and head in (on the day before we arrive).We now need a meter PDQ, still waiting for British Gas new connections team to phone us back, Eon says 4 to six weeks and Octopus can't understand why we don't have a customer number........

Any thoughts out there - it's going to be hard times with no leccy!!

Can you borrow a generator until you get connected, in case it’s not quick? At least it’s the summer. Will do you have a kiosk? Are you close to neighbours? Might they let you borrow some electric with an extension lead? Some little portable solar panels can do the bare minimum. Gym membership for a shower? Sounds like you are going to have to tough it out for a bit. All the best. Keep asking

my experience with getting Northern Power to approve my solar panel install was not a good one and then to approve the export was another pain.

If you are planning on solar panels or electric car charging in the future try and a get 3 phase line installed from the very start. 

We found we have to limit our solar export due to the line. we have is only single phase.

I would also go with Octopus if you are thinking about solar in the future (best export rates)

Another snag to look out for is trying to get the DNO (Northern Power) to talk to your energy provider (in our case it was octopus) and vice versa - they started quoting GDPR privacy crap, so I had to be the middleman forwarding emails between the 2.

you should get an EQ number from Northern power and use this when talking to Octopus/british gas 
I used to email them  on   getconnected@Northernpowergrid.com

Why on earth don't DNO's just fit the meter and let you choose the supplier? Spent ages on the phone to British Gas (who Northern suggested as speediest) last week. They tell you the new connections team will call back within 48 hours. They don't of course so spent more time this morning going round in circles " you don't have a customer number...." how do we get a customer number? "you need a meter to get a customer number... our new connections team will ring you in 48 hours" - well they haven't so far. "Ah if they don't a second time you can lodge a complaint..." Can we speak direct to them? "No I have to forward an online form, they do not take calls..."

Give me strength!

Hurrah! British Gas finally did get back to us. Apart from needing our full bank details there and then whilst we were out away from home, they were actually helpful. New meter goes in a week after Northern Power Networks installs the supply so bearable. Lot's of games of scrabble by gas light!

17 hours ago, kandgmitchell said:

Hurrah! British Gas finally did get back to us. Apart from needing our full bank details there and then whilst we were out away from home, they were actually helpful. New meter goes in a week after Northern Power Networks installs the supply so bearable. Lot's of games of scrabble by gas light!

Hopefully BG will actually turn up for the installation, in my case they didn't despite their online support lying to me that the engineer was on the way.  £30 compo & switched to Octopus to do it.

49 minutes ago, kandgmitchell said:

That'll be all we need! Just have to hope. Octopus quoted 8 weeks for a meter.........

Yeah they told me that too and it took months. Complained to ‘Greg’ and while it didn’t happen any faster I did get £150 compensation 

• 4 weeks later...

Well I can update now as we are in the static with all services connected. The British Gas guy turned up exactly on time as agreed with a brand new 3 phase meter and was done and dusted in half an hour. Our electrician returned later that day and heh ho we were up and running!