Another reason for switching to HPs nationally

35 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

some of that fall might be down to Gas costs

Were we not complaining about high gas prices for twenty years though.

We need to treat the causes of high heating prices rather than treat the symptoms.

I was pondering thro the wall heat pumps as an alternative.

The would suit terraced houses very well. So I looked up how many terraced houses there are in the UK.

6.9 million.

10% of that would hit the government target of 600k heat pumps installed annually.

If a typical terraced place needed 4 if them fitted, say £2k (should be possible if greed does not get in the way) and primary energy usage is halved. At today's natural gas prices of 6.894p/kWh ($2.58/therm) and electricity price of 3.5p/kWh (wholesale prices as I type this, they will be different when I post this) it makes sense to change.

Even at a realist retail price of 10p/kWh for gas (once boiler efficiency is accounted for) and electricity at 35p/kWh (about what the price cap is), it still makes sense on running costs (assistant me SCoP of 4).

There is an argument to be had about government incentives, but that is not really the point. 

The point is to get these units manufactured and installed where they can be fitted easily.