Ignore ASHP's that dont have WC?

Should heat pumps without WC be deleted from the shopping list?

The riello 8kw that i have been investigating does not apparently have it. The Midea that it is a clone of, as i have been told, does and looks to have a much better Scop.

This really is getting totally confusing.

If they don't actually have it would say yes, but are you sure it doesn't have WC - last year it did and the CoP at different temperatures was the same, when I looked. SCoP can vary according to the country that generated the data you look at, as the baseline temps can be different etc.

This thread would indicate the smaller  one has a heating curve, not sure why the middle size one wouldn't

4 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

@DanDee I am a numpty with this. Walk me through it. Think Homer simpson for a few minutes.

It looks like it does have WC.

It would be impossible to be a rebranded device yet not carry the most important feature of a modulating heat pump.

I don't believe we can find any HP without WC or other similar function.

Those 3 links are manuals for the Riello HP's

55 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

Should heat pumps without WC be deleted from the shopping list?

The riello 8kw that i have been investigating does not apparently have it. The Midea that it is a clone of, as i have been told, does and looks to have a much better Scop.

This really is getting totally confusing.

is WC=weather compensation you are referring to?

If i were to rely on this site for a buying choice , these 3 , from my admittedly small knowledge base, look to be good choices. Other popular models that people here seem happy with fare less well. Which is the reason for my 'if' at the start.

Daikin, Ecodan and Vaillant for example in similar power range.

The BRE site lists weather compensation as 'NO' for the Riello. Hence my question and this thread.

BRE comparion graph.png

Edited by Post and beam
Wrong Temp for Riello

9 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

If i were to rely on this site for a buying choice , these 3 , from my admittedly small knowledge base, look to be good choices. Other popular models that people here seem happy with fare less well. Which is the reason for my 'if' at the start.

Daikin, Ecodan and Vaillant for example in similar power range.

The BRE site lists weather compensation as 'NO' for the Riello. Hence my question and this thread.

BRE comparion graph.png

https://www.ncm-pcdb.org.uk/sap/pcdbsearchresults.jsp?heatPumpType=3&emitterType=0&type=362&serviceProvision=1&brand=Mitsubishi+Electric&model=Ecodan+8.5+kW&modelQualifier=PUZ-WM85VAA&pid=31&btnSubmit=Search

https://www.ncm-pcdb.org.uk/sap/pcdbdetails.jsp?pid=31&id=104645&type=362&mid=020047

https://www.ncm-pcdb.org.uk/sap/pcdbdetails.jsp?pid=31&id=104641&type=362&mid=020047

One link says WC-no for mitsu as well, another link says yes, no other details as to what is that and why, so ignore. Also reversible-no, a lie.

image.thumb.png.3e816b83258364d6cedcfb929c541b47.png

30 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

Going by the graph above i think a Midea is likely to be my choice.

Be aware that they are over specified, unlike Chofu/grant and others which will achieve output performance greater than the nameplate rating.

Midea wouldn’t be on my list…

I still think your choice of heat pump is overkill. Looking at your SAP and compared to mine.

Your Jan heat loss is 2388W, mine with the same average temp is 2979W. 

But at -9 Outside, our heating system draws 3.5kW - This being measured by a certified heat meter and tying in exactly with gas consumption (gas boiler at that time).  When the heat season starts and most of the winter you are pulling just under to just over 1kW. Extreme days are not the norm.

If you look at your graph and extent the lines left to the 1 to 3kW area things start to look very different. Both the Samsung and Midea are falling in efficiency.

Edited by JohnMo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HughF said:

And fwiw, as far as I can tell the only heat pumps on the market that don’t offer WC are the dream units from eBay, the occasional ground source unit, and swimming pool heat pumps.

Not much UK market for them as WC is mandatory under MCS.

FWIW Midea is what Good Energy fit under their scheme. EdF seem to use Daikin.

23 hours ago, JohnMo said:

I still think your choice of heat pump is overkill.

Apologies if i misled you JohnMo, i meant as a brand. Not necessarily the 8kw model. I will take a close look at the smaller Midea's. However if

23 hours ago, HughF said:

Be aware that they are over specified

This line is accurate then perhaps not.

But, if this datbase cannot be relied upon then what can?

37 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

But, if this datbase cannot be relied upon then what can?

Dunno. I checked and it has various errors for the Vaillant products I am interested in. Seems to be a version of the ENA spreadsheet which is also not very good. I don't imagine they do any testing, and rely on mfrs data which is only as good as the test houses they use. Maybe there is an EU database which is better but I have not looked.