Living on site while self-building?

sunflower

We’ve just got permission to build our first home on the site of our equestrian business (I’m still in shock!) 😮

We’d like to live on site while building, but we’re not sure if you need additional permission to do so - it would probably be in a static caravan for several years. 

Can anyone share experience of living in temporary accommodation on site, while building? 

Any advice/thoughts appreciated, thank you

It's one sentence and a rectangle box drawn on the plans to get official permission for the static caravan.  But plenty just do it without explicitly getting permission.

You will need some drainage system to connect it to, so it may mean your first job is to get services installed and a treatment plant for example if you need one so the 'van is habitable.  

• 1 month later...

We didn't ask, just put the static on site. I'm going to use Part 4 Class A permitted development rights if challenged:

Permitted development

A.  The provision on land of buildings, moveable structures, works, plant or machinery required temporarily in connection with and for the duration of operations being or to be carried out on, in, under or over that land or on land adjoining that land.

My wife and I are supervising the works (as well as doing some jobs as well) and providing security to the site.

We have registered for council tax over the phone and the Council has supplied refuse bins. The actual banding has yet to be assessed by the District Valuer (4-5 months) but we've elected to pay Class A council tax just so there's no lump sum due when it's no doubt backdated.

9 minutes ago, kandgmitchell said:

We didn't ask, just put the static on site.

I did the same, didn’t register for council tax as it was for “builders services” (loo, washing and eating facilities). I was still paying council tax on our previous house (where er indoors was still living) but stayed there during most weeks. No bother from the council.

We moved out of our previous house to fund this build. I was keen therefore to create a "permanent" address for bank accounts, credit cards, etc etc in order to remain a real person in this increasingly digital world. The plot has a registered postal address and the Council refer to it as "Caravan at........." in their records.