Preparing for a driveway - suggestions?

martin55

Hi,

As shown, I have a driveway (including left path) is 5.5m length x 3.4m width and 80cm height from curb to bottom.

I'm planning to level it a bit more so the incline is less, as shown, and using the full width, including current path.

I'm not sure how they would achieve this. However, to save money, how should I prepare it?

Thanks.

prepare ground.jpg

It involves retaining walls, which will probably have more depth and breadth below ground than you might expect. If you have, or can get, a spec for that, and have confidence in your building (and can do the necessary drainage too) then perhaps do that (x3) and the hardcore and tamping in preparation for the final finish (but you'll need to know the depth of the intermediate and final finishes in order to finish at the height you want to finish at).

Lots of possible issues I'm afraid..

This will likely be considered a "raised platform" that requires planning permission as over 30cm?

Planning permission also needed if you use any sort of non permeable surface like concrete, tarmac or paving without collecting any rainwater run off. May need some linear drains and a soakaway to prevent run off onto the road.

An 80cm high retaining wall is about the limit for DIY design when it's just a lawn on top. If there is going to be a car top you probably should get it designed. Ensuring the made up ground is properly compacted will be vital or any paving or tarmac on top will sink.

Building Control might also want to prevent falls over 80cm? 

Edit: Just noticed it's says 40cm on the image so that's a bit easier.

Edited by Temp

Planning permission also needed if you use any sort of non permeable surface like concrete, tarmac or paving without collecting any rainwater run off. May need some linear drains and a soakaway to prevent run off onto the road.

Planning permission isn't needed if it slopes back onto the owners land, which I plan to as it will be a 40cm drop over 5.5 meters.