How waterproof is the Ubiquiti U6 Pro

Bought this access point and was about to install it outside when a friend told me it needed a sheltered spot. He referred me to a review:

the Ubiquiti U6-Pro was built to withstand outdoor conditions and the device is indeed IP54-rated which I suppose could ensure that it withstands some degree of abuse from the elements. But I would still be careful to not put it completely in the open. Make sure that there is some sort of roof above it, otherwise it’s not going to last that long.”

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of installing Ubiquiti IP54 products outside, and whether you have had any issues. The spot I had planned does not have any shelter from rain.

That’s good to hear. Any thoughts on how good the signal is at travelling around the corner of a building and then through a steel gate? I’m thinking of mounting it in my front driveway facing towards the house, and trying to work out whether I will also need a separate device to cover the side alley of our house, which has a big 10 foot high steel gate at it’s entrance.

Another consideration is whether an U6 Pro AP installed on one side of the driveway will manage to emit a good enough signal that when a car is parked in the driveway, it doesn’t block the signal to the other side of the driveway. Can’t really install it much higher than 110cm above ground level.

Edited by Adsibob