Rads with centre tappings and other questions

1. Some years ago I installed two big additional rads which have F&R tappings at the bottom centre.

They claimed to have better output as the water went up the front panel and back down the rear so the heat into the room was more and into the wall was less.

I would like to fit some more but I can't seem to find them listed any more, AFAIR they were made by Stelrad, any clues or equivalents?

2. Can you still get traditional panel rads without end panels and top grilles rather than "compacts"? I would like to get a couple to match existing.

3. An HP installer has suggested fitting "Centre Brand" rads, can't contact him today, does he mean "CenterRad" brand do we think? They seem expensive for what they are.

On 14/07/2023 at 17:54, sharpener said:

Can you still get traditional panel rads without end panels and top grilles rather than "compacts"? I would like to get a couple to match existing.

Some "compacts" are round top on one side and square top on the other.

Fit one way up for round top without grille. Fit the other way up for square top with grille.

On 14/07/2023 at 17:54, sharpener said:

They seem expensive for what they are

They'll be cheaper at their trade prices from wolsley. They'll also be on extended credit.

Stelrad homeline from wicked are ok. They're fecking hopeless at delivering them in non banana form though so order well in advance, check delivery, and be prepared for lots of returns.

City plumbing et al are much better at delivering in one piece. The stelrads they sell will also have three brackets rather than two at the larger sizes.

1 hour ago, markocosic said:

Stelrad radical was the name.

Thanks, wasn't imagining it then! Can't find it by browsing Stelrad site though, even searching today for "radical". Wolsely don't have them available for online purchasing but say they may be obtainable to order. But I suspect that they have been discontinued. I wonder if the fancy German-made brassware that I remember installing makes them uncompetitive on price.

Also I see Merriott seem to supply the contract market (are a sub-brand of Purmo) and not avail. online either.

Some "compacts" are round top on one side and square top on the other.

Fit one way up for round top without grille. Fit the other way up for square top with grille.

Sounds interesting, do you have a link or even just a name?

They'll be cheaper at their trade prices from wolsley. They'll also be on extended credit.

Stelrad homeline from wicked are ok. They're fecking hopeless at delivering them in non banana form though so order well in advance, check delivery, and be prepared for lots of returns.

City plumbing et al are much better at delivering in one piece. The stelrads they sell will also have three brackets rather than two at the larger sizes.

Will dig out the old receipts if I still have them. IIRC I got a good deal from some online intermediary that split their discount but it was actually Wolsely that shipped them direct now you mention the name.

Have also found vogelundnoot but they look very pricey.