Gathering information

houseyhousey

Hi everyone,

New here and hoping to learn as much as possible from others.

I have no experience of self build from scratch, just simple extending and remodelling. My thoughts have drifted to the idea of

buying an old property, knocking it down and then using a company who manage the whole process.  I assume the process is not easy, I have been speaking to a firm that checks the land for suitability then manages the whole process from start to finish but have some hesitancy due to my lack of experience and also the fact I have not heard of this being done this way before.  Wondering how cost effective this is compared to buying and renovating. I like the sustainable and eco style of living, so the idea of creating something new rather than trying to renovate something old appeals. I'd just like to hear the real pros and cons before I go down a rabbit hole of unforeseen challenges I may not have considered - as the saying goes " you don't know what you don't know!"  

Has anyone used a company that manages the whole process from scratch? Is this a new idea? 

Thanks 

You are looking at a turn-key build, nothing new but usually the most expensive way as you don’t do anything apart from say what you want.

loads of info on here by searching old threads

• Thanks 1

welcome. as above turn-key is generally the most expensive way of self-building. we had quotes from ScandiaHaus for our build as turnkey and it was super expensive. so much so that we're hoping to bring the build in at less than 2/3rds of the cost they quoted.

but we've been very hands on and done a lot of the work ourselves and it's taking a long time as a result.

remember the triangle of building. time, cost, quality. you can have 2 of those at the sacrifice of the other one. so we want low costs and good quality so it's time that is losing for us.

• Thanks 1