To buy a combination ladder or not to buy?

amilio

Hey everyone,

I've been on the lookout for a ladder. I live in a 2 story house and am a bit of a diy kind of person. I'm looking for a ladder for everything from small fixes, to painting to cleaning windows and cleaning gutters, but I'm torn between wether it's worth investing on a tall step ladder or a proper combination ladder.

Combination ladders tend to be quite expensive (around 200 quid for a Werner combination 4-in-1 ladder where I live), but I'm also aware of their supposed versatility. Any advice on a good choice?

Thanks in advance

Edited by amilio

can't comment on which to get but I can say that I was 'coping' with a cheap aluminium step ladder that had seen better days. I decided to bite the bullet and bought a couple of Youngman step ladders and they've been a revelation. well worth the money. oh, and I bought a hop-up. that's been extremely useful as well. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

can't comment on which to get but I can say that I was 'coping' with a cheap aluminium step ladder that had seen better days. I decided to bite the bullet and bought a couple of Youngman step ladders and they've been a revelation. well worth the money. oh, and I bought a hop-up. that's been extremely useful as well. 🙂 

How do you those step ladders on a staircase?

For stairs and I have been in a domestic and commercial setting for over 25 years you can't beat a telescopic ladder for stairs . Before they were invented I looked pretty silly taking one half of a full size double ladder through the house to use .

• Like 2

Depends on how you feel at height and how high you need to get.
 a good investment for safety. I have tall step ladders and y ladders 3 way but they can be a little unnatural if very big and it takes confidence to go up and then do anything with one hand.  I sometimes use both the steps I put small tools on or the paint roller to save going up and down all the time on the y ladders. 

11 minutes ago, Susie said:

Depends on how you feel at height and how high you need to get.
 a good investment for safety. I have tall step ladders and y ladders 3 way but they can be a little unnatural if very big and it takes confidence to go up and then do anything with one hand.  I sometimes use both the steps I put small tools on or the paint roller to save going up and down all the time on the y ladders. 

I'm fighting the pricing a little bit as well. 200 quid for a ladder feels like a lot, but maybe it isn't. By Y ladder you refer to something like this?  https://www.wernerco.com/uk/combination-ladders/710Series/7101418

If so, why do you say it takes confidence to go up? Are then not sturdy enough?

I'm used to climbing ladders and working on tall places, so wouldn't have a problem climbing one of those if it was sturdy enough I think.

7 hours ago, amilio said:

I'm fighting the pricing a little bit as well. 200 quid for a ladder feels like a lot, but maybe it isn't. By Y ladder you refer to something like this?  https://www.wernerco.com/uk/combination-ladders/710Series/7101418

If so, why do you say it takes confidence to go up? Are then not sturdy enough?

I'm used to climbing ladders and working on tall places, so wouldn't have a problem climbing one of those if it was sturdy enough I think.

Yes that’s the style but bigger. We have industrial use one.  It was too big to go inside a long wheel base transit so always went on the roof which was a pain so in the end the lads were given telescopic ladders or hired in plant.  We keep the y ladders in the barn. They are too heavy for me to move around and set up, so husband does the moving and setting up and I go up them.  The fact they are heavy adds to my comfort of using them, they always feel sturdy even if not always on great ground e.g uneven floors or wire stair treads, the stabilisation base comes off ours.  
The ladders are great for vaulted ceilings or stairways, we use quite a bit without the 3rd section just folding them over at different angles against walls etc. the join on the two is an adjustable ratchet type for various angles. 

The ladders are years old now and still great no problems or wobble. At the time they where expensive but worth it, probably cheaper now, can’t find an exact image.  Work out the maximum safe working height you will need and buy the best you can afford, a long as you have room to store them they are an investment in your safety.