How does a house / row of houses get water from a main??

Apprentice

Hi all,

If you have a row of houses with a water main running across the outside of their front lawn, how do you tap in to that main to get the water to one of the said houses? 

Is a saddle used? I hope that makes sense? 🙈😋

Thanks Temp!

Sorry, I should of been clearer - how do you tap into the mains? Do you use a saddle and branch pipe work into each house?

So if there’s 5 new houses running adjacent to a water main, would there be 5 separate lines drawing from that separately? 

I think it depends on your water

board, the commercial builds I have done, we install a boundary box in the ground, run pipe from this location to the point of use, and Scottish Water or approved contractor makes the connection.

type of connection depending if they can turn water off, how many building it affects.

live connections can also be made.

Generally not something the user has to worry about,  saddle connections are used as they are a convenient way of providing a connection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apprentice said:

Thanks Temp!

Sorry, I should of been clearer - how do you tap into the mains? Do you use a saddle and branch pipe work into each house?

So if there’s 5 new houses running adjacent to a water main, would there be 5 separate lines drawing from that separately? 

Yes . Normally a 25mm tapping or "ferrule" on to the main and a dedicated 25mm MDPE pipe to each property.