Leaking from Pop up waste

steveoelliott

Hi,

I noticed today that I have a leak from one of the pop up wastes on our en-suite sink. This is a minor leak; a few drops following emptying a sink full of water.

I don't often have a sink full of water to be fair so this might be why I haven't noticed previously but I emptied a full sink and removed the plug completely allow the water to drain more quickly than if the plug was in situ. Immediately after I got something from the cupboard underneath and the shelf was damp / wet. Further investigation has led me to identify the leak is coming from the mechanism of the pop-up waste where the rod meets the nut that goes into the waste (excuse the lack of correct terms. I've attached pictures below.

Looks to me like the mechanism is worn and it has visible rust so presumably I need to replace these wastes or part thereof.

I don't have much luck with DIY plumbing so will likely get somebody in to do it.

Thanks...

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

Hi @steveoelliott

The pin that goes into the waste has a ball on it. The nut with the green on in the photo tightens up to seal it. Undo the nut, wipe any gunge off. petroleum jelly around ball. Refit nut. Do up a bit and feel the resistance on the sink plunger system: to easy need tightening. Too stiff undo a little.

Good luck

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Hi @steveoelliott

The pin that goes into the waste has a ball on it. The nut with the green on in the photo tightens up to seal it. Undo the nut, wipe any gunge off. petroleum jelly around ball. Refit nut. Do up a bit and feel the resistance on the sink plunger system: to easy need tightening. Too stiff undo a little.

Good luck

Thanks I did try tightening it a turn or two but didn't remove completely or try any petroleum jelly on the ball. Will give that shot.

Edited by steveoelliott

OK, so I removed the nut, cleaned around it and re-tightened, applying the jelly to the ball. The little ball appears to have split which is likely part of my problem. Are these replaceable?

After putting back together it might be marginally better but still leaks.