PIV: no outlet in attic; how to make it less stuffy?

Garald

Work on my place is almost done. 

Now, I've just noticed something surprising (which wasn't clear to me from the plans): the PIV (positive-input ventilation) takes air from the courtyard and distributes it to the ground floor and first floor, but there are no outlets in the attic (which has been turned into an otherwise very nice place). No wonder the attic feels a bit stuffy, on top of being hot. It's hot because of the skylights, and I'm getting outside shades installed, but that won't help with the stuffiness (which may or may not be in my head), though we can open skylights when we wish, obviously.

Is this a serious defect? What can be done about it (other than "open the skylights")?

PIV works by pushing air out, generating a slight over pressure, then the air finds leaks in the building fabric and/or trickle vents, so in theory the air should spread everywhere. If you have windows open it will exit there rather than having to work to escape.

Could your attic just feel stuffy because it's super hot in there?

12 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

PIV works by pushing air out, generating a slight over pressure, then the air finds leaks in the building fabric and/or trickle vents, so in theory the air should spread everywhere. If you have windows open it will exit there rather than having to work to escape.

Right, but in an attic it's the air that has been in the first two floors already (and has gone through a tiny staircase - I may have to rethink the idea of putting the cat's litter box under the said staircase, not that the cat has visited yet). And yes, opening skylights should help, for the reason you mention, and it does feel like it helps.

12 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Could your attic just feel stuffy because it's super hot in there?

Quite possibly! Hopefully these will work: https://www.velux.co.uk/products/blinds-and-shutters/exterior-sunscreening/awning-blinds

Edited by Garald

• 5 months later...