When should I repair minor cracks and screw pops?

amilio

Hi all,

I bought a new house last year and moved in about 6 months ago. As with any new build, the house has settled a little bit and I've noticed a couple of thin hairline cracks on some walls and I've found a couple of screw pops on some walls and ceiling.

Question is: when should I start repairing them? I've heard I shouldn't touch them within the first year, while the house is still settling, should I wait longer?

Thanks!

Leave it as long as you can put up with it.  Our house is pretty much white, and wife is now thinking colours, we have been in the house nearly 2 years. Worst case is you fix everything and a month or two later wife decides it time to add colour to the house - double work!

36 minutes ago, joe90 said:

If it’s a new house there should be snagging by the builder surely.?

Good point, I must of been skim reading and missed the word bought. Down to the builder to fix.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

If it’s a new house there should be snagging by the builder surely.?

Snagging is usually done very early before keys have been handed over. Screw pops and minor cracks are bound to happen as the house experiences weather changes and settles in.

Everything that should've been fixed during snagging was fixed at the time. The stuff I'm referring to happened during the last few months.

2 years

It depends between developers, however generally speaking the snagging period can be split into 2 sections: within the first 2 months and then before the end of 2 years... It is important to raise your snagging list with the builder within the 2 months of completion because it is in line with the HBF survey deadline.