Voltage Operated Circuit Breaker

Onoff

I've not seen one of these voltage controlled circuit breakers for a few years! 

20230623_061456.thumb.jpg.67467a668c09c04766845529781b315d.jpg

Tbh I'm surprised the DNO fitted a new head and meter with it there. Done a few years back when we were having lots of local power issues. The seals are even initialled and match the signature on the meter labels.

This is a self contained, metered supply separate to the house off a pole in a old,  block built cooper's shed. Think double garage size with a solid dividing wall. There's a bit of T&E coming out the bottom of the VOCB feeding a rusty, lidless ancient cu, the other side of the wall. That's a whole other story, falling apart etc. Feeding just lights and a couple of sockets for the garage & all in VIR. 

They want to feed a new annexe and have already run a 16mm2, 2-core SWA in a duct underground. A yellow duct no less! I'm not sure if that's worse than the usually used / seen blue!  Too late now to even give them any tape for the trench as it's all concreted over.

I was thinking they should go REC2 then Henleys after the meter. Then one set of tails to a new, local cu the other side of the wall and sort those lights and sockets out.

Another set of tails to a 100mA time delay RCD then an 80A switch fuse feeding the SWA to the annexe. They've a BG split board for the annexe.

As it is it's actually better as it is than many round here. All farms or ex smallholdings! 😂

Edited by Onoff

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I've not seen one of those for over 30 years, and they were considered old and obsolete then.

It's the second one I've seen. The last was in a house in the next village maybe 20 years ago. 

Fused switches. The smaller ones I think limit you to supply in at the bottom and load at the top:

Fuse-Switch-Isolator-Website.thumb.jpg.0d3a0a2ff83691b2ed5dbec179178a20.jpg

Whereas the big long metal cased ones are configurable for in/out either way:

CGFS100.jpeg.3f97519a89c793a9f8f4e70ea6511fbe.jpeg

What's the smallest fused switch you can get that will take the supply in at the top would anyone know?

Cheers