CWI options

vala

Had an inspector out to check if we had CWI and if so what's state its in to know whether to change it or not.

From his report back, he notes our cavities are in the region of 70mm, yet he did mention on the inspection day some areas were down closer to 55-60mm.

The type we currently have is Insta fibre/white wool. He notes that there are a few voids and I've seen first hand there are gaps/voids when I installed the first floor windows.

So think we'll need to have the lot replaced. Have spoken to Polypearl who recommended an installer who has offered Polypearl Plus, didn't really give any real reason as to why not go with Platinum even though he does offer it.

Also spoke to Polypearl who have said there Platinum offers 25-30% improvement over Plus. He didn't give any details as to what effects the extra performance, I assume bigger cavities would help. With my home having between 55-70mm, would I really benefit?

Hi all.

Had some quotes for CWI.

Polypearl plus is £2700, Polypearl platinum is £4300.

Both quotes include extraction of the old mineral wall.

Can anyone advise if the platinum is worth the extra £1600? The difference between the 2 u value's is 0.005.

Can't help you on your actual question (other than - do you mean U value or R value? - in either case it looks a tiny difference in practice... and are there other differences in the properties between the beads?)

But are you clear on what you are trying to achieve - are you experiencing problems with the current setup e.g. damp? Have you had a go with an infrared camera on a cold day with the house heated? 

Had the existing CWI surveyed after being in touch with CIGA.

Did suffer a bit of mould in the corner of a room and the house didn't ever get to its targeted temp. Assumption was that as the heat was rising is was leaking quicker.

The survey highlighted a few areas where the mineral wool wasn't in place and also when I have changed the windows on the first floor the cavities were quite sparse.

And yes apologies, I meant R values.

I'm not as clued up with the impact of R values so although it may appear to be a minor increase it may actually be quite something, again though I have little knowledge on whether this is true.

I spoke to Polypearl regarding the difference and they didn't give a reason or advise on what product due to the make up of the house.

And the 2 installers they recommended, one only installs Plus, the other only Platinum.