8kW G99 - Possible with UKPN in Sussex?

Rob99

Anyone been able to get approval for G99 8kW export with UKPN in Sussex?
It seems like they would automatically approve 5kW export but I'd like to go to 8kW as I'm planning on a lot of PV and batteries.

yep. 10kW inverter and 5kW battery approved here in West Sussex. 🙂

we live on a quiet road though and no one around here seems to have solar panels so maybe we just got lucky.

Edited by Thorfun
added battery approval
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rob99 said:
Anyone been able to get approval for G99 8kW export with UKPN in Sussex?
It seems like they would automatically approve 5kW export but I'd like to go to 8kW as I'm planning on a lot of PV and batteries.

PV great but do you really need batteries? Have you worked out the cost/benefit? If you are able to get any decent rate for export, a battery may not be fiancially viable. I know mine isn't and with hindsight I wouldn't have bought it

On 09/06/2023 at 08:56, Thorfun said:

10kW inverter and 5kW battery approved here in West Sussex

we live on a quiet road though and no one around here seems to have solar panels

Thanks @Thorfun, that's good to know. Is that 10kW export on a single phase?

Our road has loads of houses with ideal south facing roof slopes but only a couple have bothered with any PV. I'm quite surprised.

On 09/06/2023 at 11:45, PhilT said:

PV great but do you really need batteries?

Yep, as don't want to pay any leccy bills if I can avoid it, even when the sun don't shine 🤣 

On 09/06/2023 at 11:45, PhilT said:

Have you worked out the cost/benefit?

Yep, I have a mahoosive excel spreadsheet. Battery payback is around 5 years but that's not my main motivation for having them

Edited by Rob99
Missed a bit !!

5 hours ago, Rob99 said:

Our road has loads of houses with ideal south facing roof slopes but only a couple have bothered with any PV. I'm quite surprised.

Get your G99 application in pronto before theres more PV and youre more likely to be restricted.

Edited by Dillsue
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rob99 said:

Thanks @Thorfun, that's good to know. Is that 10kW export on a single phase?

Yep. Single phase. I do have a 3-phase supply but running the house on a single phase so solar is all single phase so I don’t have to worry about net metering etc. 

13 hours ago, Dillsue said:

Get your G99 application in pronto before theres more PV and youre more likely to be restricted.

Yep, I've already registered but was just waiting to confirm invertor before submitting.

12 hours ago, Thorfun said:

Yep. Single phase. I do have a 3-phase supply but running the house on a single phase so solar is all single phase so I don’t have to worry about net metering etc. 

Interesting that UKPN approved 10kW on a single phase so there's hope for my 8kW (now I'm thinking maybe 10kW would be worth asking for 😂🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob99 said:

Interesting that UKPN approved 10kW on a single phase so there's hope for my 8kW (now I'm thinking maybe 10kW would be worth asking for 😂🤣

nothing stopping you reapplying after you get the 8kW permission! 😉 

• Like 1