Top hung Egress hinges?

jen and mark

Hi!

We had our windows passed by BC before we fitted them but we then changed our mind for the internal walls. We now have a screen instead of a wall through from our hall to our open plan lounge kitchen diner. This now causes a problem for our bedrooms opening onto the hall ( potential smoke issue) so BC now want the ensuite windows to open for fire escape. The size is pretty tight - 1070 x 570 but he is happy for us to just change the hinges so the window opens fully. The problem we have is that they are top hung and cannot find any top hung fire escape hinges - I have phoned may hinge supplying websites!

Does anyone have a 'bespoke' work around on this? I am loath to buy more windows!!!!

For it to be a fire escape window, you need to have a clear opening of 0.33m2, and the window needs to be a minimum of 450 width, 450 height. I don't know of a mechanism that will allow that, on the window in question to achieve the requirements. You'll need to speak with your BCO to see what he expects/wants you to do.

Edited by craig

Plus the window needs to stay open without being held. With that opening you may struggle to meet all the requirements I'm afraid. Oopps just read your post again - did you say en-suite? The requirement to provide escape from rooms on the first floor applies only to habitable rooms, and bathrooms (and thus en-suites by association) do not need their own escape windows. See Para 2.2 of Approved Document B - Fire Safety: Volume 1 Dwellings.

If of course the bedroom windows don't meet the requirement and the BCO was offering making the en-suite window act as an alternative, then you are back to square one!