DPC not lapped as specified by architect

Tim1985

On top of your insulation, DPM & concrete slab, the main options are:

• underlay, then 22mm moisture resistant t&g chipboard, then carpet/lino/vinyl/cork or similar
  • underlay, then t&g engineered flooring
  • battens plugged and screwed to concrete, then t&g solid wood floor. Yes, this would introduce an air gap under the timber.
  • screed, then ceramic tiles/stone/carpet/lino/vinyl/cork

The underlay can be a (soft) proprietary product, or something like 25mm polystyrene. BTW, you need the concrete (and any screed) to dry out thoroughly before laying anything over it.

8 hours ago, naf123 said:

on top of the insulation (and VCL)

With a floor insulated below the slab to current Building Regs standards, I'd not use a VCL (the temperature below the timber surface is unlikely to lead to condensation), unless the manufacturer requires it for warrantee purposes.

On 31/05/2023 at 00:33, Mike said:

This is something to discuss with your Building Control Officer as it's a stage they should be checking.

So what, you can’t sue them. They owe no duty of care to the OP.

On 05/10/2023 at 23:44, Canski said:

How can people do this job for 20 years plus and still be shite ? It’s easier and quicker to do it right the first time. 

Vote Brexit! I’ve seen a couple of excellent brick layers who are English, but they are in the minority. In my experience, brick layers from Poland, Ireland, Lithuania or Italy are better. Though the Italian I employed once was too slow. There is a balance between perfectionism and efficacy, the Italian just took forever and I made the mistake of paying him by the day.

Now we are out of the EU and this country is getting tougher to live in (for other reasons) I suspect many EU nationals will leave and we will have less people to employ. Those brickies left here (regardless of nationality) will be in the privileged position of being in such demand, that standards could easily fall. That explains… maybe… your experience of

On 05/10/2023 at 23:44, Canski said:

poor workmanship and lack of listening

Edited by Adsibob

25 minutes ago, Adsibob said:
On 31/05/2023 at 01:33, Mike said:

This is something to discuss with your Building Control Officer as it's a stage they should be checking.

So what, you can’t sue them. They owe no duty of care to the OP.

You can't sue them, but they can make your life miserable if they have good reason to doubt your adequate compliance with the Regs. Require you to open up the work, take samples, withhold your completion certificate, line you up for an enforcement notice or a fine...

On 16/08/2024 at 21:47, Mike said:

• battens plugged and screwed to concrete, then t&g solid wood floor. Yes, this would introduce an air gap under the timber

Thank you so much !  How does one screw battens through the DPM into the concrete ? Surely that punctures the DPM? I guess there is special plugs for this ? Thank you ! 

8 hours ago, naf123 said:

How does one screw battens through the DPM into the concrete ? Surely that punctures the DPM? I guess there is special plugs for this ?

From your earlier post it seemed that you have the polythene DPM under the concrete. If it's on top, then forget using polythene and apply liquid Aquaseal across the entire slab and up the walls as the DPM. And yes, that would complicate screwing the battens to it considerably - I've never tried that.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

From your earlier post it seemed that you have the polythene DPM under the concrete. If it's on top, then forget using polythene and apply liquid Aquaseal across the entire slab and up the walls as the DPM. And yes, that would complicate screwing the battens to it considerably - I've never tried that.

Thanks . Will try liquid but may not be possible for practical reasons as some part of it (the extension part !) is sand blinded . Is there an ideal way to join a sheet dpm to a liquid dpm? Maybe will do some kind of taping around the edges . 

Edited by naf123

2 hours ago, naf123 said:

Is there an ideal way to join a sheet dpm to a liquid dpm?

No, not horizontal plastic to horizontal liquid DMP. You'll have to make something up.