Installing UFH with posi joists

richo106

Hi all

I am going to be installing my first floor UFH using the fit from below spreader plates, due to having an ASHP it was recommended that I had 150mm spaces and would require 2 x spreader plate per 400mm joist spacing. This would mean effectively 3 runs per joist spacing (does seem abit excessive maybe but don't want it cold)

For info: Insulation levels are - Floor and ceiling 0.12 and all walls 0.18, ASHP

Originally I was going to attempt the painstaking task of threading it through the posi joists, however the more I think about it the more ambitious/deluded I am being regarding that idea....would you guys agree?

I was just going to clip the pipe under the joist and then when complete will batten off the joists using some 3" x 1" (see attached pic)

I have never done UFH below so can anyone give me any install hints/tips at all? I am hopeful i can borrow a UFH pipe decoiler 

UFH from below.jpg

Edited by richo106

For upstairs heating 200mm, 2 pipes between each joist would sound more logical as shown in that photo.

Many of us in well insulated air tight houses find no heating upstairs is needed so have not fitted any.

You can't notch posijoists so battening after fitting the pipes is about the only way.  Just make SURE whoever fits the plasterboard to the ceiling does not put a screw through the pipes.  Keep a record of where they are so you don't put a screw through them in later life......