Realistic Budget?

Hello, 

First of all, most of this is also posted in my "Introduce Yourself" post so apologies if you've already seen this or if I've broken a rule (Admin please delete this if so). 

Anyway, 

My wife and I are looking at how realistic it is to do a self build (ICF preferred) of approx 100m2 (either 1 or 2 storey) with a total budget of £150K (excluding plot cost), right down to the kitchen /bathroom fittings (midrange). 

I intend to DIY as much as possible, paying trades for the skilled aspects etc. 

Now I know it's a how long's a piece of string question and I suspect that I'm missing something / seriously underestimating costs but some "rough" calculations look like this (excuse the ordering!) :

Carpet etc inc. fitting £3,000
Electrics £5,000
Plumbing & bathrooms £10,000
Triple glazed windows £15,000
Kitchen complete £10,000
Stairs £3,000
Foundations £12,000
Fencing £3,000
Heating, solar, pump, etc £15,000
Legal fees etc £10,000 
Roof £11k
ICF walls & concrete £25,000
Flooring frames £3,000 

For a rough total of £125,000. How wrong (or right) am I? 

I appreciate any answers because currently I'm reading so much that one moment my budget seems reasonable and the next it's nowhere close! 

Thanks for any replies! 

Hello @Jim30  and welcome - It is always good to have some idea of what things may cost and I appreciate getting those figures screwed down can be difficult.

Does the above include second fix items such as plastering / dry lining and or joinery - skirting and internal doors etc?

It may be difficult for others to comment without any plan elevation drawings as the shape of the property can influence prices. That said, your budget verses square metreage does seem appropriate - 

Your legal fees etc looks a little low - herewith are some items that you may need to pay for:

Architect

Soil survey

Ecologist survey

Topography survey

Water/drain consultant

Planning applications

Planning consultant (not mandatory but for us worth their cost - about £1500 all in)

Landscape designer

Structural engineer

Building control

We managed to get ours in at under £20k and that was cheap.

Also you need connections costs and app fees - if you digging up an adopted road this will cost ££££'s. 

We built in ICF but had a builder on board and sub contractors for metal roof, electrics, plumbing and ASHP and we came in at around £2000 sq m for a build in 2021/22. Taking out the labour element out it we would have come in at around £1500/ sq m

Good luck with your plans.

Edited by Happy Valley

23 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

Hello @Jim30  and welcome - It is always good to have some idea of what things may cost and I appreciate getting those figures screwed down can be difficult.

Does the above include second fix items such as plastering / dry lining and or joinery - skirting and internal doors etc?

It may be difficult for others to comment without any plan elevation drawings as the shape of the property can influence prices. That said, your budget verses square metreage does seem appropriate - 

Thanks, nice to possibly have some good news although second fix isn't included. Planning is granted on the plot (we've got an option on it) but probably going to adjust it (smaller so should be fine). 

8 minutes ago, Happy Valley said:

Your legal fees etc looks a little low - herewith are some items that you may need to pay for:

Architect

Soil survey

Ecologist survey

Topography survey

Water/drain consultant

Planning applications

Planning consultant (not mandatory but for us worth their cost - about £1500 all in)

Landscape designer

Structural engineer

Building control

We managed to get ours in at under £20k and that was cheap.

Also you need connections costs and app fees - if you digging up an adopted road this will cost ££££'s. 

We built in ICF but had a builder on board and sub contractors for metal roof, electrics, plumbing and ASHP and we came in at around £2000 sq m for a build in 2021/22. Taking out the labour element out it we would have come in at around £1500/ sq m

Good luck with your plans.

Thanks Happy, yet another potentially positive post. Planning already done (but may need adjustment) so there's that.... Much to think on, cheers. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

@Jim30 if not done already, take a look at my blog - plenty of prices on there albeit about 5 years out of date but may give you some food for thought etc.

Thanks, I will, especially as my wife loves Scotland! 

@Jim30 Hi Jim, How far away are the services as this can add up. I don't know about ICF or floor frames but £3000 seems low.

We are also planning to do a lot of the labour and coming in at a projected £2000/Sqm but had to make some tough choices long the way and said goodbye to the log burner and zinc roof.

24 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

@Jim30 Hi Jim, How far away are the services as this can add up. I don't know about ICF or floor frames but £3000 seems low.

We are also planning to do a lot of the labour and coming in at a projected £2000/Sqm but had to make some tough choices long the way and said goodbye to the log burner and zinc roof.

I'm getting the impression that a lot of my figures are low ☹️

Re services at this rate I may go off grid 😂

• Like 1