Any one got any ideas what this water influx may be?

MikeGrahamT21

My neighbour across the road has recently been installing a concrete fence, and when he dug the post near the bungalow it kept filling up with water…now I remember years ago my dad who lives on same side of road, 2 doors up, dug foundations for an extension and they kept filling up too. Neighbour was determined to find where it came from and we found a gap in a perp joint where the was coming out fairly quickly, hard to say exactly but definitely more than a litre a minute, so I decided to stick a borehole camera in to see what I could see, picture is 90 degree to the wall, and your looking at the engineering bricks on inner leaf, water seems to be coming through a small gap at a fair rate of knots. For context the camera was fully submerged during the video so the swirls you can see is the power of the water. It must have been this way for a good 25years. Bungalow appears to have slipped on its DPC coming outward by around 1 inch. Neighbour also said there was evidence of water when they did the kitchen years ago but was never investigated. Bathroom is getting done soon and they are going to check under there. It fills the hole up to the 3rd row of bricks from foundation and then seems to stop filling anymore, never any evidence of water from the surface.

we live in a valley, and my dad has always talked of a natural spring, could this be it? There is also a disused rail track underneath the ground somewhere nearby which used to transport coal from the local pit.

any ideas? 

Chrlorine test will tell you if it's a watermains leak or natural spring. My money is on a spring as it all looks too clean to be mains water 🤣. And you'd likely hear the leak if it was coming out of a pipe.

Either way it would want to be managed.

Edited by Conor

48 minutes ago, Conor said:

Chrlorine test will tell you if it's a watermains leak or natural spring. My money is on a spring as it all looks too clean to be mains water 🤣. And you'd likely hear the leak if it was coming out of a pipe.

Either way it would want to be managed.

that’s a good idea with chlorine test. Property is water metered and there’s no evidence of a leak on there so it’s definitely not from the metered supply.