Attaching fixing brackets to steel lintel

jayc89

I'm using fixing brackets when installing windows, I unexpectedly had to install steel lintels over a couple of openings. I now have a ~ 30mm gap between the brackets and the bottom of the lintels to fill and secure.

What's the best thing to do here? Screw a batten to the lintel and attach the brackets to that?

If you have a gap, then yes you should close it up to get a better fit and seal, is this internal?

Depending on how it all looks and will sit I would probably fit a length of say 19*150 onto counter battens/packers to get the desired 30mm. My reasoning for this may be driven by potential for condensation sitting on the steel and rotting out the timber, but it depends on the make up of this, what is the room type, what is the insulation, but I would be reluctant to come up hard against the steel in one single piece without considering potential issues. 

For fixing I would probably just pilot drill and stick some stainless self tappers in. Shot fire would be good but I am going to guess you may not have access to one. 

Edited by Carrerahill

Yeah, internal face of a solid brick wall.

I suspect I could bond a length of 25mm PIR to the back of the wood and screw through that so the wood because internal to the thermal envelope? 

DEBC77E6-93F4-4AD7-BDD9-F4207001A769.jpeg