This be the post about curtain linings

Garald

Hi,

So, I need to make several decisions about curtain linings. (I'm getting mainly what I take are typical English curtains, with the "pocket" for the lining included - think of a vertical duvet (but if my "take" is correct, I do not need to explain things in this forum. They are also mostly William Morris, but that's a separate issue.)

1) There is a curtain that will go flat against a metal door, covering its edges. The idea is to provide heat insulation primarily by stopping convection - there's probably no fabric or material such that a 1cm-thick layer of it provides more than a modicum of R, after all.

What should I use here? Polar tissue? My rationale here is simply that the curtain will as some sort of cardigan or jacket.

2) Then there are the curtains that go on the library windows, overlooking a busy street. The idea here is to provide a couple of dB's worth of sound insulation (on top of what the new double-glazed windows, optimized for noise reduction, provide).

What to use here? I don't imagine loaded vinyl can go inside a curtain lining. Some heavy fabric? I'm not sure how that would work out.

3) There will also be a shade for a staircase window that (unlike the windows in 2) will not have outside shutters. I suppose I should worry about keeping heat out in this case (though, because of the orientation, it may not be a major problem). Should I just put some reflective material on the other side? How? Is there something flexible enough that it can go on the other side of a Roman blind?