Cost of heating engineer for extension

KayleyH

We are planning on having underfloor (wet) heating for our extension (approx 46 m sq).  We will lay the pipe ourselves but will need a heating engineer to connect it to our  existing boiler (radiators).  Has anyone got an idea of how much a heating engineer would charge to link up the manifold?  Many thanks.

I would say you need a plumber AND an electrician, and the electrician in particular needs to be familliar with UFH.

There are some people with the skills to do both, I know at least one on this forum I would trust to do both but most plumbers would not know how to connect the electrics.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KayleyH said:

We are planning on having underfloor (wet) heating for our extension (approx 46 m sq).  We will lay the pipe ourselves but will need a heating engineer to connect it to our  existing boiler (radiators).  Has anyone got an idea of how much a heating engineer would charge to link up the manifold?  Many thanks.

Go and get a cost / design done from the likes of Wunda. If you buy from them then they'll do a design / calcs etc and talk you through controls options and provide the kit. Once you have the kit there will be very little for an "engineer" to do, so as above just get a good plumber and a good electrician to complete.

Wunda will show you a pipe layout to follow, if you're DIY'ing the loops in the floor.

If you want to run this on its own eg not at the same time as the radiators / the 2 wont always be on simultaneously, then you'll very likely need to install a small buffer tank ( say 25-50L ) to stop the boiler short-cycling. What boiler do you have?