Self Build Garden Room and Garage

Mat-the-plumber

Hi, I’ve joined this forum as  I’ve just started work on my new garden room and Garage. I’ve demolished my existing brick built sheds and removed all debris from the garden 3 grab wagons later and now the fun begins. Im currently in the planning/design stage using sketch up. Brilliant programme by the way if your doing anything similar! I’ve  joined to try and find opinions on my option for the build as I’m still undecided on quite a lot of aspects, whether to involve planning and BC and also what I plan to construct the build with ie Timber/Block and the various methods within those topics. I am a plumber by trade and run a small mechanical services business so I have some basic knowledge and understanding of how a building is constructed but as this is my 1st time on a new build I want to make sure I’m well informed to hopefully save some pennies on costly errors! Once my design is complete I plan on doing a costing spreadsheet to evaluate cost over the Pro’s & Con’s of a timber or block construction. I have also thought about the possibility of a metal frame but can’t find a great deal of info about it. I’ve attached a couple of screen shots from my iPad. Look forward to hearing of other experiences and if anyone needs any plumbing advise please feel free to ask!

Matt Liverpool 

C78A9784-7239-45AA-9A9D-B7443EF3B4CA.png

4DF4A32E-BB80-42A2-BF35-3F5A5E19F255.png

8BD30FBF-D91F-4147-81F4-9B505CB7CB06.png

7C151DF2-48E7-4C2C-B683-9DE29A4240A3.png

6BAECED1-69A4-47DD-9D1A-96229AD0D3FA.png

Should rephrase that really. Do I keep the build within permitted developments or make an application to planning and get the roof heights and structure I would prefer. To be honest know several people who have completed something similar without any involvement but not comfortable taking that risk. Especially considering the costs.