Recommended expanding foam tape

jayc89

Will be replacing 13 windows over the next couple of weeks and I'll have a 10mm gap to seal around each one. Tremco Compriband seems crazy expensive for the amount I need. I've seen a few other "expanding foam tapes" popping up recently, has anyone used any alternatives? Were they as good as Compriband?

22 minutes ago, Gone West said:

Compriband is UV stable which may be or not important in some applications. I have used an alternative which worked for me with sealing windows but I don't know if it was the only sealing layer it would work very long term.

https://www.affixit.co.uk/expanding-foam-tape-compriband-alternative.html

Thanks. This would just be the external seal, I'd still have FM330 as the intermediate seal and tape joining my VCL as the internal seal. 

How long is a piece of ....tape?

Openings are not always perfectly x mm bigger than the frame, so just something within the working range of the chosen tape. Remember that there's an air-tight expansion range, and then there's 'what the tape will expand to', and the two are very different. IIRC there's generally only about 3-4mm in the expansion range. (I have '3-6' and '6 - 10', for example).

Ah, did you mean width, not depth? If the former I am not convinced it matters too much.

Edited by Redbeard
Width vs depth Q

3 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

How long is a piece of ....tape?

Openings are not always perfectly x mm bigger than the frame, so just something within the working range of the chosen tape. Remember that there's an air-tight expansion range, and then there's 'what the tape will expand to', and the two are very different. IIRC there's generally only about 3-4mm in the expansion range. (I have '3-6' and '6 - 10', for example).

Ah, did you mean width, not depth? If the former I am not convinced it matters too much.

Yeah, width. Given I'd be getting 6-15mm tape (or 8-15mm if using Tremco). I'm thinking 15mm wide should be enough?

7 hours ago, jayc89 said:

And what thickness of tape would you recommend for external window sealing?

IIRC the tape I used was 20mm wide. To ensure the seal is watertight, the gap to be filled, should be within the expansion range of the tape.

• Like 1