Class Q barn conversion

ChrisF8

Hi everyone,

We’re new to this forum so please go easy with us! We’ve just purchased a Barn conversion in Hertfordshire with class Q planning permission. The plot consists of a main Barn and two Stables (in a U configuration). The plot has permission to convert the main barn into a dwelling but not the stables. Ideally we would connect the stables to the barn to include a larger kitchen/diner and garages etc.

My question is…are we better off completing the barn under the current application, move in, and then submitting planning permission to convert the rest of the stables or going back to the council and requesting full planning permission before we build anything?

and help would be appreciated 

thanks

Chris

2044 - SK02.pdf

Hi, and welcome.

How long do you have left to complete the build, on the existing Class Q permission?

In short, a new Planning Permission (not a Class Q Change of Use), using the Class Q as a fall-back and gets you what you want, would be the ideal way to go and gets the full development VAT free (if you plan to live in it yourself). But, have you got time to do so. ie. if that fails have you still got time to build the Class Q?

Edited by IanR

Intrigued to know where but perhaps you dont want to say. We have recently got our planning permission for a house in Aston. Good to see a fellow Stevenage resident on the forum. Welcome.

Can you just dig the footings for the permission which stops the timer doesn't it?  And submit your extended application. Then, either way you wont run into the 2 or 3 year time limit.

Edited by Post and beam

@IanR it was granted a month or so ago so we still have 3 years to complete. That sounds like a sensible plan and it think I’ll have a chat to the architect about this approach. Thank you 

@Post and beam I don’t want to say just yet as we’re still in the legal process. How did you find East Herts to deal with on your project, I’ve heard they are particularly tricky

1 hour ago, ChrisF8 said:

How did you find East Herts to deal with on your project, I’ve heard they are particularly tricky

No trouble at all actually. 10 weeks total, from submission to full planning. 

My sister and brother in law had permission on the same piece of land in 2016, that never went ahead.  At that time east Herts were particularly difficult apparently. A single person by all accounts that has since retired. My brother in law was so worn down by the process that he accepted all of their restrictions just to secure some kind of permission. Smaller and simpler than he would ideally have liked but he was afraid to argue with them(Her)

7 hours ago, Post and beam said:

Can you just dig the footings for the permission which stops the timer doesn't it?

A Class Q requires that the work is complete within 3yrs from the permission being granted.

I'm using my approved Class Q as a stepping stone to a demolition and new build. You need to ensure the Class Q is "viable" for it to be considered as the fallback, therefore don't want time to be running out on the Class Q permission.

Edited by Furnace

Good to hear EHDC aren’t as difficult as they once were. They’re starting to accept pre-planning forms agains so I think I’ll go down this route to get a feel for permission. Fingers crossed, thanks for all your advice