Digging foundations

In my view BC shouldn’t be getting involved in how the works are completed - unless they are following the recommendations of the structural engineer for the works - their remit is to ensure the works are carried out in accordance with Building Regulations and are not responsible for ensuring the site is safe.

If however a BC officer comes across an unsafe site it would be prudent for him or her to

leave the site and to contact the HSE as soon as it was prudent to do so.

Can you post some photographs of the works. I’d like to see exactly what is going on.

33 minutes ago, ETC said:

In my view BC shouldn’t be getting involved in how the works are completed - unless they are following the recommendations of the structural engineer for the works - their remit is to ensure the works are carried out in accordance with Building Regulations and are not responsible for ensuring the site is safe.

If however a BC officer comes across an unsafe site it would be prudent for him or her to

leave the site and to contact the HSE as soon as it was prudent to do so.

Can you post some photographs of the works. I’d like to see exactly what is going on.

Hi I've just messaged you some pictures. 

• 1 month later...

Building Control do not get involved in how the works are executed when operating under the Building Regulations. However those same officers may be operating under Sections 77 and 78 of the Building Act which gives the local authority powers to act in the case of dangerous structures. That building or structure just has to be dangerous - not dangerous to the public. In an emergency situation they can take steps to remove the danger immediately. 

"In an emergency situation they can take steps to remove the danger immediately. "

The Council will say this is a private matter as it's not close to a highway and won't want to get involved. I understand your concern but there is very little you may be able to achieve and you still have to live next door.

Maybe write to your neighbor expressing a concern about damage from unintended consequences such as the trenches collapsing or acro failure and keep a record that you sent it. Ask for permission to speak to the builder if you're concerned. It may be pushing it but ask if the building/builder is insured but by the sound of it it's unlikely, I feel for you because it seems there is a risk of damage to your property.