French doors adjustment

oldkettle

Hi, 

My friend and I have finally replaced our old alu front door with the French doors donated by a neighbour. Not a passive house installation, no tapes, just used Soudal all around. 

The frame is aligned very well, everything is "true and plumb" - but the doors aren't quite. We have adjusted them yet it seems we ran out of leeway. While they close pretty tightly there is an annoying tiny gaps at the top middle - see the picture. Tried to Google it but couldn't find a suggestion specific to this issue. Is there any way to fix it? 

TA. 

20230318_134937.thumb.jpg.c2c2955a0cc6fe560f3b17c6dd1c6dae.jpg

I assume that central bar is attached to one door and the other door closes against it?

So the door it is fixed to just seal the gap with any outside sealant.

The door that closes to it, you will have to improvise with some way of extending or giving something for it to close to.  Just poor design.

What is the fit like from the outside? it is not a case of the frame is too tall?

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I assume that central bar is attached to one door and the other door closes against it?

So the door it is fixed to just seal the gap with any outside sealant.

The door that closes to it, you will have to improvise with some way of extending or giving something for it to close to.  Just poor design. 

Yes, the cental bar is attached to the right door. 

49 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What is the fit like from the outside? it is not a case of the frame is too tall?

You may well be right... but how do I know? 

Here are the gaps for the left door which is the better adjusted one. 

If the frame is too high there is nothing we can do about it now, but my neighbour runs a scaffolding company, has plenty of experience and I doubt he'd have wrongly sized frame for many years. 

20230318_171842.jpg

20230318_172111.jpg

1 hour ago, Andy brown said:

I think I may have had the same problem. If you put a level on the top of the door - is it level? If both doors lean into together at the top then the glazing units may have been "packed" incorrectly into the door frames causing the frame to sag in the middle.

Thanks Andy 

My friend is a joiner/carpenter/general builder so he checked many times using a long level before we fixed the frame. It's still straight. The doors themselves are definitely not aligned fully (the right one is hanging slightly lower), but are still level. 

Will try adjusting for height tomorrow, but I think the whole door can't possibly go up by half an inch. 

Adjusted the doors now. Looks better. I think the middle panel could have been longer. But as @ProDave said it is just the design. There is an insert at the top of the door which could have been better - I wonder whether it's worth glueing a bit of insulation to it. Need to buy a replacement anyway as we broke a small bit at the front - not that it is vital. 

20230319_142428.jpg

20230319_142505.jpg

20230319_142539.jpg

20230319_142627.jpg