Different slab floor levels - how to build up with pir for ufh?

Crumpetman

Hi

I have been totally renovating my property and had a single story wrap around extension built with block and beam. All floors have concrete slabs but the block and beam is below the house slab level and so is the entrance area and side extension. My builder said I would just have to level them all out by using different thickness of PIR Insulation, but i'm worried this might cause issues in the future. Anyone have any thoughts please?.

Ah yes. 

Can you get to 150mm as a minimal. 

The. 175mm, 185mm and 210mm on the other areas to make it level.  I expect you'll have joints anyway at the doorways so this should take care of any differential movement. 

If you are worried about cracking in the middle of the room you could use 70mm concrete with 10mm chip and plasticiser with some steel mesh powerfloated to finish. 

Cant get 150mm as minimum as would not get a decent ceiling height. I could look into the 70mm concrete option which will probably cost a bit but seems to be a running theme with the cowboys I used. Every days a learning day. Thanks for your help

Concrete is normally cheaper than screed but needs care to get a good finish. 

You could omit the screed altogether and just put two layers of OSB glued and screwed together floating on top of the insulation. This could give you up to another 50mm to play with and certainly wouldn't crack.