Trim for self-supporting brick arch over window

jayc89

I'm no good with technical terms, I'm sure there was a shorter topic title to be had!

I have a couple of windows that don't have any structural lintels, but the bricks are on ends and arched across the top of them, supporting themselves. This kind of thing;

275385826_4849710395145746_9179689447698963802_n.thumb.jpg.9081fb8c0c56a058d18d7ef3bc4ab8da.jpg

I'm going to replace them, but the windows I'll be fitting are square, I need a bit of trim that I can cut to follow the curve of the arch as an infill. Anyone know what these are called and what the best way of cutting them to follow the curve is?

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I am sure your window supplier can sort that fir you (it’s not unusual).

What should I be asking for? Trim above window for an brick-arched opening? 

16 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

What should I be asking for? Trim above window for a brick-arched opening? 

Usually they will come and measure up themselves so they can see what’s required, if you measure up they will supply stuff for you to cut to fit. Are you fitting them yourself?

49 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

I'm going to replace them, but the windows I'll be fitting are square, I need a bit of trim that I can cut to follow the curve of the arch as an infill. Anyone know what these are called and what the best way of cutting them to follow the curve is?

I did the same back in the nineties in a Victorian cottage. When I fitted the windows, which were timber, I just cut a piece of plywood to fit the curve and screwed it to the top of the window with a batten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Usually they will come and measure up themselves so they can see what’s required, if you measure up they will supply stuff for you to cut to fit. Are you fitting them yourself?

Yeah. There's a wood lintel behind the arch course, so I plan on filling that void with PU foam prior to sticking the trim on. I just need to know what I should be asking for.