Checking if shutter has any drop from top to bottom and side to side

83dons

Hi

Is there a cheap digital tool I can purchase to check whether there is any drop from top to bottom and side to side at any point in a wooden shutter that has been set up for me prior to the concrete being poured? The area is too large for string solutions. I have a laser measure but that is only good for measuring the distance between two points. I am also aware that the concrete will likely self level to some extent if its not too thick but want to double check we arent way off before we pour. Using the spirit level round the edges looks not bad but its drop from one end to another and from side to side I am interested in measuring.

Thanks

Only real way is a laser level or site level (dumpy) if it’s as big as you make out. 20-25m is no problem for a tight string line, we used to use fishing line for distances over that when an optical level couldn’t be used

Iv a laser spirit level which produces line or dot. So would I put another piece of wood on top of the opposite shutter and mark on it where the dot sits if above? I am not sure how far the laser sits off the flat surface it sits on though if you know what I mean and there is the issue of is the surface actually flat it sits on or it inclining the beam somewhat although I guess I can position the top spirit bubble level to fix that to some degree. I thought there may be some other economical tool I could purchase perhaps maybe using GPS coordinates to measure any fall over say 5 or 6 metres.

sit your lazer ontop of a spirit level packed up to level on the highest side of the shuttering. measure the height of the beam just infront of the lazer then measure the height of the beam at the other end of the shuttering and deduct your first measurement, that will tell you your fall.

Ok that sounds good. I guess measuring the height of the beam from top of the shutter to the beam itself should be obvious I can check this later on, I guess maybe just stick a ruler in front of the beam for the dot to fall on it with zero point at top of the shutter.