single 90mm : good for 15 metre run

My planned Potton is a 200 sq/m house. I think the longest duct run will be from the loft space to the far end of the living room. This will be 15 metres as best as i can estimate it.

A previous quote and design ( from a company i dont intend to use) said i need a house total of 60 litres/second.

Will a single 90mm duct be sufficient? If its good for the living room run then it should be good for everything else.

Go on to manufacturer web site download the datasheet it will give pressure drops per meter per bend and by flow rate. It may also state the longest run acceptable.

But simple terms.

The longer the length of duct the bigger the pressure drop, the more bends, the bigger the pressure drop, more flow the bigger the pressure drop.

The bigger the pressure drop the more work the fan has to do to over come it.  So fan speed is increased - more noise, more electric.  So worse case you need a bigger unit to compensate.

Flow rate is to do with noise also, more flow more noise.

40 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

The longer the length of duct the bigger the pressure drop, the more bends, the bigger the pressure drop, more flow the bigger the pressure drop.

The bigger the pressure drop the more work the fan has to do to over come it.  So fan speed is increased - more noise, more electric.  So worse case you need a bigger unit to compensate.

Flow rate is to do with noise also, more flow more noise.

I get the principle, its the actual numbers i need to get my head around.

For example if my living room is 42 sq/m,  its a 15 metre run and i use 90mm round duct. will i achieve a quiet sytem at the required flow rate.

For this size room i actually expect that i will need either a double run or, more likely, 2 single runs to opposite corners of the room.

I would work out the flows you need in each room first. Then they are set.  A big room depending on how many people, needs a decent flow.  Although there are two of us and dog, the lounge is set for around 60m3/HR.  In general use CO2 levels are around 600ppm, but when we have 6 people in the room after an hour or so CO2 levels are getting to over a 1000ppm.  So happy with the setting.  Our lounge is 36m2 but 6m tall.

If i take the 60l/s as a valid whole house figure, is it usual practice to do the following?

With no other previous knowledge to go on i have broken out the volumes of the rooms that require supply and taken their % of the total. Then used that to divide the 60 l/s into per room supply rates.

So, for example my living room is 42 sq/m which is 38% of the total. 38% of 60 l/s is 22.8.

From this ( if correct) i will need 3 x 90mm to keep just below the 2 m/s velocity.

Please critique away guys.