Hey guys!

Lal

We recently bought a 4 year old new build and I’m looking into sorting out some flooring concerns! 

I believe our foundation is block and beam, although no one can seem to confirm it! However, while I walk, the kitchen cabinets and the dining room rattles/vibrates. I’m not sure why this is! 

looking to find out more about this ! I’ve attached a photo of our home during its foundation build, can anyone tell me what type of foundation this is and how to sort

out the bounce? 

FEC55CEF-133D-44DD-B15E-54560DCC7C5B.png

Some sort of block and beam floor. Can't tell if the infill between the T beams are standard blocks, large blocks or insualtion blocks. Looking at the very bottom RHS suggests an insulated type infill, e.g. https://www.cemex.co.uk/suspended-floor-systems

Further reading here https://www.bdonline.co.uk/cpd/cpd-4-2017-insulated-suspended-floor-systems/5087724.article

Pretty standard stuff these days, tho not that widespread. Normally overlaid with more insualtion and then a thin screed. Inherently "bouncy" over longer spans, natural quality of reinforced concrete beams.

Bugger all you can do about the bounciness if that's what is annoying you. Unless the builder has exceeded the manufacturers / engineers span tables or inadequate intermediate supports. You'd need a camera survey done via the floor void to confirm.

As it's a recent build, the design drawings and calculations etc should be available via building control.

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Conor said:

Some sort of block and beam floor. Can't tell if the infill between the T beams are standard blocks, large blocks or insualtion blocks. Looking at the very bottom RHS suggests an insulated type infill, e.g. https://www.cemex.co.uk/suspended-floor-systems

Further reading here https://www.bdonline.co.uk/cpd/cpd-4-2017-insulated-suspended-floor-systems/5087724.article

Pretty standard stuff these days, tho not that widespread. Normally overlaid with more insualtion and then a thin screed. Inherently "bouncy" over longer spans, natural quality of reinforced concrete beams.

Bugger all you can do about the bounciness if that's what is annoying you. Unless the builder has exceeded the manufacturers / engineers span tables or inadequate intermediate supports. You'd need a camera survey done via the floor void to confirm.

As it's a recent build, the design drawings and calculations etc should be available via building control.

thank you so much for the response. That’s really helpful and more information than I’ve received from the developers 🙁I’m just worried about how/if the bounce will impact the structure of the house in the long-term. 

29 minutes ago, Lal said:

thank you so much for the response. That’s really helpful and more information than I’ve received from the developers 🙁I’m just worried about how/if the bounce will impact the structure of the house in the long-term. 

Do you know if there is a screed down? Do you have UFH?

44 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Do you know if there is a screed down? Do you have UFH?

Not sure about the screed but I think so (looking at this picture). 
no UFH. It is a timber framed house, so not sure if this has anything to do with the ‘bounce’ but having spoken to some of my neighbours, they don’t seem to have the same issues with the bounce 

CBEB830B-8D31-4D3D-9CDB-1AD607706E43.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds more like the cabinet legs aren't fully extended down onto the floor. Can you take the kick board off and check the legs?

Beam and block can have some bounce but it shouldn't be excessive. Even solid floors will vibrate under impact forces.